Unknown HD AUDIO CODEC

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

oss117

Unknown HD AUDIO CODEC

Postby oss117 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:40 pm

I recently bought a new Mini-ITX motherboard (ASRock AD2550-ITX) and OSS doesn't have a matching CODEC for it. Here is what I get from /var/log/messages:

Code: Select all

kernel: oss_hdaudio: HDA codec 0x80862880 not known yet

and here is the output of lspci -vv for the HD Audio chip:

Code: Select all

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device c892
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
        Region 0: Memory at dff00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- RBE- FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+ TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed unknown, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Virtual Channel
                Caps:   LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
                Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
                Ctrl:   ArbSelect=Fixed
                VC0:    Caps:   PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
                        Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
                        Ctrl:   Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=01
                VC1:    Caps:   PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
                        Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
                        Ctrl:   Enable+ ID=1 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=02
        Capabilities: [130 v1] Root Complex Link
                Desc:   PortNumber=0f ComponentID=00 EltType=Config
                Link0:  Desc:   TargetPort=00 TargetComponent=00 AssocRCRB- LinkType=MemMapped LinkValid+
                        Addr:   00000000fed1c000
        Kernel driver in use: oss_hdaudio

I guess it would suffice to add a new line to the codec_desc_t codecs[] list, in kernel/drv/oss_hdaudio/hdaudio_codecids.h, but guessing what *remap structure to point to in that line is another matter... Any clue on how to do that ?

nuc
Sound Card: PowerColor DEVIL HDX

Re: Unknown HD AUDIO CODEC

Postby nuc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:54 am

The codec is unknown, but does everything else still work? Or do you just want to get rid of the "unknown" warning?
Check out my effort on revamping the opensound website => github.com/Nuc1eoN/4Front-Tech-Website
Any feedback greatly appreciated =)

oss117

Postby oss117 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:27 pm

nuc wrote:The codec is unknown, but does everything else still work?
To be honest, beside osstest and ossxmix (which both seem to be working fine), I didn't extensively test the audio on this motherboard, the reason being it's in a PC that I only use as a firewall/NAS/web server (there're not even speakers connected to it and I ran the quick tests with a headphone). So, I can only tell you it's apparently working fine (it is for left & right channels, at least)...

Or do you just want to get rid of the "unknown" warning?
I just wanted you to know that this hardware is not fully recognized by OSS... I suppose(d) that you have contacts with motherboards/audio cards manufacturers to inquire about their CODECs.

nuc
Sound Card: PowerColor DEVIL HDX

Postby nuc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 pm

oss117 wrote:To be honest, beside osstest and ossxmix (which both seem to be working fine), I didn't extensively test the audio on this motherboard, the reason being it's in a PC that I only use as a firewall/NAS/web server (there're not even speakers connected to it and I ran the quick tests with a headphone). So, I can only tell you it's apparently working fine (it is for left & right channels, at least)...

So as I suspected the codec is unknown but it still gets parsed correctly (if indeed as you say all mixer elements are present). The only drawback might be a cluttered mixer AFAIK.

oss117 wrote:I just wanted you to know that this hardware is not fully recognized by OSS... I suppose(d) that you have contacts with motherboards/audio cards manufacturers to inquire about their CODECs.

Oh, I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm just a moderator on this forum, not a developer :/. However I can tell you that I have the same "unknown codec" issue on my home system and nevertheless OSS works beautifully.

If you want, you might still email the developers (to "dev" or "hannu" [at]opensound.com) and ask if they include native support for your codec - I did so a while back whereat they replied they'll "see if support can be added to the next version of OSS".

Anyways thanks for reporting! Hope I could help.
Check out my effort on revamping the opensound website => github.com/Nuc1eoN/4Front-Tech-Website
Any feedback greatly appreciated =)

Return to “Linux”