Fedora 20 - Dummy Output device - plays using ossplay

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

eachna
Sound Card: High Def Audio CX20561

Fedora 20 - Dummy Output device - plays using ossplay

Postby eachna » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:11 am

I installed the Linux 2.6/3x 64 bit rpm on my laptop (Fedora 20 64 bit) and rebooted.

osstest played properly through both my laptop speakers and my usb wireless headset.
I could play a wav file from the command line using ossplay.

I use the KDE desktop and it has both gstreamer (4.7.2) and phonon (0.7.1) installed as media backends. I tried to make sure the appropriate oss4 plugins were installed.

None of my installed packages that provide audio playback (firefox, VLC, xmms, all my games, etc.) can access the sound card. Looking in Kmix I only have a "dummy output" device available.

I've tried searching for solutions but I didn't find anything. I'm not saying a solution isn't out there, just that I didn't find it. The wiki wasn't that useful as I didn't see anything about Fedora (the ubuntu/arch/gentoo/etc solutions all seemed to be distro-specific).

Any pointers on how to fix this situation would be appreciated.

Here's some output:

[goldmoon@localhost storage]$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

[goldmoon@localhost storage]$ sudo soundon
[sudo] password for goldmoon:
OSS is already loaded.

[goldmoon@localhost storage]$ lsmod | grep oss
oss_usb 129904 5
oss_hdaudio 157640 5
osscore 582802 4 oss_hdaudio,oss_usb

PS - I'm sorry if I missed an obvious fix, I've been hammering at this for hours and I'm kind of fried.

igorzwx
Known Member

Re: Fedora 20 - Dummy Output device - plays using ossplay

Postby igorzwx » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:20 am

eachna wrote:I installed the Linux 2.6/3x 64 bit rpm on my laptop (Fedora 20 64 bit) and rebooted.

osstest played properly through both my laptop speakers and my usb wireless headset.
I could play a wav file from the command line using ossplay.

I use the KDE desktop and it has both gstreamer (4.7.2) and phonon (0.7.1) installed as media backends. I tried to make sure the appropriate oss4 plugins were installed.

None of my installed packages that provide audio playback (firefox, VLC, xmms, all my games, etc.) can access the sound card. Looking in Kmix I only have a "dummy output" device available.

I've tried searching for solutions but I didn't find anything. I'm not saying a solution isn't out there, just that I didn't find it. The wiki wasn't that useful as I didn't see anything about Fedora (the ubuntu/arch/gentoo/etc solutions all seemed to be distro-specific).

Any pointers on how to fix this situation would be appreciated.

Here's some output:

Code: Select all

[goldmoon@localhost storage]$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

[goldmoon@localhost storage]$ sudo soundon
[sudo] password for goldmoon:
OSS is already loaded.

[goldmoon@localhost storage]$ lsmod | grep oss
oss_usb               129904  5
oss_hdaudio           157640  5
osscore               582802  4 oss_hdaudio,oss_usb

PS - I'm sorry if I missed an obvious fix, I've been hammering at this for hours and I'm kind of fried.

If you want to learn OSS4, you may try it with a kind of "easy Linux", e.g. Linux Mint MATE 32bit
See: _http://www.opensound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5586

It does not make much sense to use KDE and 64bit on very old notebooks.

Perhaps, you may want to read something about OSS4: _http://www.4front-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Applications_for_OSSv4

See also:

$ ossinfo

$ ossmix

$ ossxmix

seawright

Re: Fedora 20 - Dummy Output device - plays using ossplay

Postby seawright » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:45 pm

If you are using pulse audio as a sound server add the following line to /etc/pulse/default.pa

load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input mmap=0
and comment out the line "load-module module-udev-detect" eg.

#load-module module-udev-detect
as OSS4 does not support udev.
regards
Clive

Return to “Linux”