GUI for exact audio player by Sergei Petrov

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

ossuserr
Known Member
Sound Card: audigy 2 zs platinum, esi juli

GUI for exact audio player by Sergei Petrov

Postby ossuserr » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 pm

I am amazed with the quality sound obtained with the help of OSS driver. I can confirm that though the second better DAC p16v of my card is not supported by OSS driver and i can use only the first one which is wave 01 or hw:0,0, the 48/16 sound of hw:0,1 with OSS is better than 192/32 with p16v on ALSA. So, as you can guess the driver matters a lot... to such a degree that a device of lower quality produces better result. So i have enjoyed a lot of classical music today which I could not stand with ALSA. I am going to relisten again most of the songs i have. I noted that highs do not have any distortions at all and as if have become more detailed that i hear new shades of sound like can differenciate separate stringed instruments among several of them playing simpultanously. And I can compare the quality of sound to that sound obtained with kx driver + foobar2000 + kernel streaming + good resampler which name i don't remember. But the pitiful thing is that exact audio player can play only one song from commandline and i cannot select multiple songs or a folder and send them for playing.
I am trying to find the solution to this. I think we can accomodate Thunar file manager to be used as the GUi for exact audio player but we need some knowledgeable script writer.
So far you may do the following: install Thunar, unpack exact audio player, go into its folder and open the three scripts petrov-resampler-sox, petrov-resampler-sox, petrov-resampler-ffmpeg in a text editor. You must replace the dot chacacter in line ./pcm_conv -f $RATE -b $BITS $TMPF1 $TMPF by the full path to pcm_conv file which lies in the exact audio player folder for it to look like /home/user/path-to-exact-audio-player-folder/pcm_conv.
Then open Thunar. Open edit - configure-custom-actions, press plus sign and in the field Name put any corresponding name of one of the three aforementioned scripts (one's used to playback wav, second for ape, third for flac) for example play-flac-Petrov, into the field Command put exo-open --working-directory %d --launch TerminalEmulator /home/user/path-to-exact-audio-player-folder/petrov-resampler-sox %F Then in the tab Appearance conditions in the field Pattern put * and check on the box Audio files. Close the window to save. Create commands in Thunar for other two scripts too which will play ape and wav. With this solution you may right click the audio flac file and chose the created command to play it. The terminal will emerge and will play the song. You may press ctrl + C to stop playback. Unfortunately if you select several multiple files and try playback them only the first selected file will be played back. If we can invent a script to playback all the selected files we can turn Thunar into A UNIVERSAL VISUAL INTERFACE for exact audio player and actually any other player which is capable to work from commandline. Who can help to implement this?

igorzwx
Known Member

Re: GUI for exact audio player by Sergei Petrov

Postby igorzwx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 pm

It seems that you are trying to solve the problem which was already solved some years ago.

You do not need that ancient version of Petrov's resampler and my old crappy scripts.

Just install the Russian Ultimate Player (DeadBeef) and Petrov's OSS4 plugin for it, and you will have the GUI you need.

Petrov's OSS4 plugin for Deadbeef can be downloaded here:
_http://www.opensound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3543&start=90#p19477

DeaDBeeF - Ultimate Music Player For GNU/Linux
_http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:48 pm

The problem is that deedbeaf does not work with that plugin for me. I get the error that the plugin's not loaded. I used the deedbeaf which is started from folder after unpacking. And here is the error:

Code: Select all

dlsym error: /home/user/deadbeef-0.6.2/plugins/oss_rate-x86_64.so: undefined symbol: oss_rate-x86_64_load

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:00 am

ossuserr wrote:The problem is that deedbeaf does not work with that plugin for me. I get the error that the plugin's not loaded. I used the deedbeaf which is started from folder after unpacking. And here is the error:
dlsym error: /home/user/deadbeef-0.6.2/plugins/oss_rate-x86_64.so: undefined symbol: oss_rate-x86_64_load

It is incorrectly installed. You should rename it into oss_rate.so

$ deadbeef
starting deadbeef 0.6.1
server_start
loading plugins from /home/igor/.local/lib32/deadbeef
loading plugins from /home/igor/.local/lib/deadbeef
loading plugins from /usr/lib/deadbeef
loading plugin /usr/lib/deadbeef/oss_rate.so

This means that plugins can be installed into
/home/igor/.local/lib32/deadbeef
or /home/igor/.local/lib/deadbeef
or /usr/lib/deadbeef
But it should be renamed into "oss_rate.so"

$ ls
oss_rate-i386.so 
oss_rate-x86_64.so

$ sudo cp oss_rate-i386.so /usr/lib/deadbeef/oss_rate.so

or

$ sudo cp oss_rate-x86_64.so /usr/lib/deadbeef/oss_rate.so

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:16 am

I renamed it and now it works :) I also made it executable by sudo chmod a+x oss_rate.so But now i have two oss output plugins: oss ouput plugin and oss output plugin with fftrate. I tried to play a song but terminal shows that the undesirable oss output plugin is used. I went to edit-preferences-sound and chose OSS output plugin with fftrate as Output Plugin from the dropbox. Then I started playback of a song and now it's playing with Petrov's Plugin and I am happy!
The DSP section of DB has SuperEQ plugin. Is it better to remove it from DB? Interesting thing that you can remove it only by deleting its file in the corresponding folder.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:31 am

ossuserr wrote:I renamed it and now it works :) I also made it executable by sudo chmod a+x oss_rate.so But now I have two oss output plugins: oss output plugin and oss output plugin with fftrate. I tried to play a song but terminal shows that the undesirable oss output plugin is used. I went to edit-preferences-sound and chose OSS output plugin with fftrate as Output Plugin from the dropbox. Then I started playback of a song and now it's playing with Petrov's Plugin and I am happy!
The DSP section of DB has SuperEQ plugin. Is it better to remove it from DB? Interesting thing that you can remove it only by deleting its file in the corresponding folder.

Yes. It make sense to remove all crap from DeadBeef, all those evil "resamplers", "equalizers", and the like.
It is not difficult to recompile DeadBeef to remove all crap from it.

Notice that the package with the magic plugin contains the manual "howto.txt" with detail instructions, links to screenshots, etc.

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:09 am

Thanks, Igor. You are real helper on the net. By the way an interesting guess about closed source. We are constantly made to believe in the bullshit like open source saves us from spying on,etc. But actually all spying now is done on hardware level below operating system. So... Closed source is GOOD because the presumably EVIL OWNERS OF OPERATING SYSTEMS CANNOT MODIFY THE CODE TO SPOIL SOUND. Even if they have backdoors in GCC compiler to decypher the source code, their attempts to modify the code will be detected by the change in binary size. In this case programers have to have software on own sites avoiding repos also WHICH IS GOOD. It's not difficult to come to a simple conclusion: don't be afraid of closed source. Corporations are sure to be secretely financing the so-called open-source operating systems made by secretely paid "volunteers" who are given with a task to troll the NAIVE believers in the open source fairy-tale. What's the evil aim of those corporations? It's evident. In the sense of sound it's spoiling your hearing with all the consequences out of it like selling your all-aspects-cheap music to make you dumb. Was there a chance that the OS made by one developer Torwalds could become a liberating thing? It was not difficult for agents of corporations to take over the OS developement and then just to maintain illusion of a fighting against themselves.
So far i am very happy with Petrov's plugin and I hope it will continue to be closed source... Even mp3 sound better! But i still have the feeling that your scripts of exact-audio-player sound better than deedleaf with the plugin... Perharps you are right that it MUST BE RECOMPILED to get rid of that "good" "user experience" crap.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:08 am

ossuserr wrote: But I still have the feeling that your scripts of exact-audio-player sound better than deedleaf with the plugin...

It seems that you are not deaf.

Petrov has two resamplers: "FFT transform" and "DCT transform"

Petrov's DeadBeef plugin uses DCT transform (it is faster, but it has a lower accuracy).

That ancient version of Petrov's resampler (which you are using) has only FFT inside.
That is why it sounds better. This was also noticed by Michał
_http://www.opensound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3834#p15221

You can modify my old scripts using the scripts of twlaipeter
_http://www.opensound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5783

Notice that APE and FLACs can be decoded with native decoders.

$ flac -d -o output.wav mumu.flac

# Convert FLAC to wave
flac -d -o $TMPF1 "$1"

For APE files, you can install "mac" tools:
_http://www.t2-project.org/packages/mac.html
_http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/split-ape-and-flac-files-in-ubuntu-and.html

# Convert APE to wave
mac "$1" $TMPF1 -d

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:21 pm

I can charaterize deadbeef's sound as being more flat and less emotional than the exact audio player's. Ironically deadbeef is called DEAD-beef and it feels like sound coming out is, though much purer and higher in resolution than from alsa, still felt like dead. Then my question is why Petrov uses the deterior DCT resampler now? Must not we fight for the beauty of sound?
Also interesting fact concerning foorbar2k. People compared different verions of foobar2k used with the same resampler plugin and noticed differences in quality though the presumably prepaid "gurus" were denying it.
Black rock satanist teenages which were thus secretely promoting the new world order spoiled my hearing significantly many years ago in their "studio" but I can still feel the quality by feelings.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:31 pm

ossuserr wrote:I can charaterize deadbeef's sound as being more flat and less emotional than the exact audio player's. Ironically deadbeef is called DEAD-beef and it feels like sound coming out is, though much purer and higher in resolution than from alsa, still felt like dead. Then my question is why Petrov uses the deterior DCT resampler now? Must not we fight for the beauty of sound?
Also interesting fact concerning foorbar2k. People compared different verions of foobar2k used with the same resampler plugin and noticed differences in quality though the presumably prepaid "gurus" were denying it.
Black rock satanist teenages which were thus secretely promoting the new world order spoiled my hearing significantly many years ago in their "studio" but I can still feel the quality by feelings.

You can make an experiment to see whether DeadBeef itself produces distortions or not.
Convert your audio files with the standalone Petrov's resampler, then play them with DeadBeef and Petrov's plugin:
"exclusive mode" without resampling (for 48kHz → 48kHz, it will not enable resampling).

ossuserr wrote:why Petrov uses the deterior DCT resampler now?

It was an experiment, or, perhaps, a test for deafness. He tested various resampling methods.

EDIT:
The "exclusive mode" of Pertrov's plugin is equivalent to "ossplay -R", it disables VMIX and the so-called "cooked mode" of OSS4 _http://manuals.opensound.com/developer/SNDCTL_DSP_COOKEDMODE.html

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:16 pm

I can't modify your scripts. They failed. I am not a script writer.

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:20 pm

What for will i use native ape and flac decoders? Do you mean to substitute deadbeef's decoders by native? But how to link them to deadbeef. Actually i don't like that DEAD roastbeef. That's why i created the topic...

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:35 pm

ossuserr wrote:What for will i use native ape and flac decoders? Do you mean to substitute deadbeef's decoders by native?

Not. You may not need to hack DeadBeef.
But if you need to decode a FLAC into wave, you may want to use a native decoder.

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:59 pm

Isn't sox better than flac?

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:26 pm

ossuserr wrote:Isn't sox better than flac?

The native tools seem to be more reliable than the third-party implementations.

Return to “Linux”