jackd1 with OSS [Ubuntu/Linux Mint]

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

ossuserr
Known Member
Sound Card: audigy 2 zs platinum, esi juli

Re: jackd1 with OSS [Ubuntu/Linux Mint]

Postby ossuserr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 am

I have installed windowxp and kxdriver and can you imagine the platinum module worked perfectly! Both spdif out and the PHONES OUTPUT! So what's wrong with linuxes? Can it be that the asound.conf generated by arateconf makes all this? Now i hear only cracking from the phones and nothing more. I know that phones output is linked to hw0 which is 48\16 but i set up sound via arateconf to use hw4 which is 192\32. But in deedbeaf I chose the 48\16 bit device and i still have cracking. What can i do to fix it?
Maybe i need to switch to windows xp from linux? What do you think? Do you know any resapmlers for windows with support of sfz, gig, sf2?

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:56 am

ossuserr wrote:I have installed windowxp and kxdriver and can you imagine the platinum module worked perfectly! Both spdif out and the PHONES OUTPUT! So what's wrong with linuxes? Can it be that the asound.conf generated by arateconf makes all this? Now i hear only cracking from the phones and nothing more. I know that phones output is linked to hw0 which is 48\16 but i set up sound via arateconf to use hw4 which is 192\32. But in deedbeaf I chose the 48\16 bit device and i still have cracking. What can i do to fix it?
Maybe i need to switch to windows xp from linux? What do you think? Do you know any resapmlers for windows with support of sfz, gig, sf2?

Perhaps, the main problem is your "conspiracy theories" about everything.
They may prevent you from understanding what is really going on.

As I remember, arateconf sets the default device of your choice, and configure Petrov's plugin for it.
Perhaps, you should study your asound.conf to understand how the devices are configured.

You can also set your "48\16 bit device" as default with arateconf and configure Petrov's plugin for it.
Then you can play something through it to test sound quality.

If you save copies of these different asound.conf files, you may compare them.
You may also edit them by hand.
You can also restore a "good asound.conf" with "cp", if you have a copy it.

There is also Petrov's /usr/bin/amixrestore
What is the purpose of it?

I cannot help you with ALSA, because I do not use it.

For the same reason, I cannot help you with Windows.
Perhaps, Windows software and malware may help to develop your "conspiracy theories".

ossuserr
Known Member
Sound Card: audigy 2 zs platinum, esi juli

Postby ossuserr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:39 pm

All spying is already done on the hardware level. So there is not difference if you use linux, windows or any other thing. What matters is the possibilities and stability of the OS.
And of course, those theories are not conspiracy but everyday reality... That's why Petrov's plugin is not included into the american linux. Your american friends rule via electrical systems forbidding all free energy technologies while ecology is worsening very fast. It's not difficlt to guess what will be if we do not stop them. As an example recently they stopped production of motocyles with magnetic engines in Japan.

Those creative staff attached front phone output to 48000 chip instead of 192000. Bad!
After uninstalling libsamplerate gento asked me to do some emerge @preserve-build command. I did not do it till now. I did it, then I installed libsamplerate again. Then i tried to run qjackctl but i got error that alsa is an unkown driver. I recompiled jack-audio-connection-kit with alsa support and voila qjackctl started normally! In deadbeef i previously set the device not to hw0,4 192\32 but to hw0,1 which is also 48\16 like hw0,0 but with multichannel and also returned my old asound.conf and voila cracking disappeared from phones! What i did next? I started jackd and assigned hw0,4 as control device and could change sample rate to 96000 though jackd people told me that 96000 is not supported by my card... Then i returend the asound.conf confirgured by arateconf. Then i started deadbeef and changed audio device to the default one and cracking appeared again... And whatever i do it still remains. Probably i need to change to previous asound.conf. I think that you must not start jackd and deadbeef simultanously. The entire shit is produced maybe not by oss+jackd but by jackd + deadbeef. Somehow they take the same control things.
Ha, it seems i found the reason of cracking... I started qjackctl and changed output and input devices to hw0,4 both of them. Then started jack-server again and voila - cracking is gone in phones! Though xruns appeared and jack server stopped. So the cause of phone cracking are some settings in jackd... And those settings act system-wide. I have stopped jack-server and started deadbeef where hw0,1 16\48 is chosen and phones play songs normally without cracking. Then i stop playback and choose default sound device and cracking starts again! My asound.conf is set to 32\96000. After that whatever device i chose in deadbeef, the cracking remains and no sound from phones! That deadbeef makes your OS dead... I wonder what it does to the system. And the fix for this is strange as well. You mut start qjackctl and choose /dev/audio as your interface. Then start jack server and window will appear telling that start failed BUT there is no longer cracking sound from phones! So this /dev/audio somehow resets the sound system in linuxes. Unfortunately I can no longer have 96000 as sampling rate for jackserver because i get xruns... I need to set asound.conf in another way but how?
It became evident that phones work in deadbeef only when hw0,0 or hw 0,1 with 48\16 are employed... because that platinum external block uses 16\48 chips and not the 192\32 chip. So the cracking in phones will continue if i do not set deadbeef to use hw0,0 or hw 0,1 in deadbeef. Otherwise i suppose i may set DB to default output which uses asound.conf and play only via speakers with 192\32... If i in need of using phones then i will have to reset the OS sampling system in qjackctl by choosing /dev/audio and setting deadbeef to outputs using 48\16 chips. And why the hell that creative corporation could not put one 192\32 chip for all inputs\outputs. Evedently it was marketing shit... So yackd stuff were right that creative cards are crap... Many inputs and outputs but generally all are useless. And one more thing to remember! If you set hw0,4 in your asound.conf make sure that phones' amplifier is on minimum to avoid damage of it. Otherwise you may try to use another player not deedbeef for using phones which will be set to use hw0,0 or hw0,1. Sometimes choosing of /dev/sound does not help to reset the card and remove cracking. Then i choose in qjackctl plughw:0,4 with resampling rate 96000. You need to set such frequency which will cause xruns and stop of the jackserver. It will reset it!

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:32 pm

ossuserr wrote:those theories are not conspiracy but everyday reality... That's why Petrov's plugin is not included into the american linux.

Let us summarize:

1. Your "audigy2 zs platinum" was not burned.

2. The problem was caused by ALSA config-file "asound.conf". It was misconfigured.

3. Since you had problems with ALSA, you created a "conspiracy theory" about the "evil OSS4 software".

4. You accused the OSS4 developers of producing "evil drivers" which burn soundcards together with earphones.

5. Your "audigy2 zs platinum" was resurrected with Windows.

6. Your ALSA config-file "asound.conf" was fixed by your "comrade from alsa team".

7. You asked the OSS4 developers to improve the OSS4 driver for your "audigy 2zs emu10k2.5" (or audigy2 zs platinum), because it was not burned by the "evil OSS4 software".

Of course, if one is frustrated with ALSA, PulseAudio, or other "open source crapware", he may invent a "conspiracy theory" about the "evil American Linux" to explain his frustration. Such theories, however, may not help to overcome frustration, or to fix practical problems.

Perhaps, you may better contribute some "practical knowledge" instead of "conspiracy theories".
Since you can hear the difference between the "true sound" and "digital crap", you may test, for example, HiRes FLACs 24bit 192kHz as well as DXD waves and DXD FLACs.
They can be downloaded here: _http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
You may also try to study sonograms, make resampler tests, etc. The manual is here: _http://www.opensound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4423

In short, your "practical knowledge" is welcome, your "conspiracy theories" are slightly off-topic.
If your "conspiracy theories" are "open source" and free, you may better share them on ALSA forums.

Return to “Linux”