jackd1 with OSS [Ubuntu/Linux Mint]

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

ossuserr
Known Member
Sound Card: audigy 2 zs platinum, esi juli

Re: jackd1 with OSS [Ubuntu/Linux Mint]

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Don't use jackd1 with OSS... I has just burnt my front module for audigy2 zs platinum. So i no longer have midi inputs and outputs, no phones out, no spdif, no optical, no mic2, no line2. I thought it also burnt my earphones since they were cracking and giving smell of burning plastic. However i checked them on another equipment and earphones still work, probably they are only damaged.
I am sad and now i blame myself for tryint to use OSS. So who read this message keep in mind that if you are not rich and not going to buy lynx2, pyramix or other things WHICH CAN REPLACE jackd2, DON'T move to OSS from alsa if you are going to use JACKD!
As far as i suspect that burning problem was caused by incompatibility of OSS Vmix with the jackd which is also a mixer...

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 pm

ossuserr wrote:Don't use jackd1 with OSS... I has just burnt my front module for audigy2 zs platinum. So i no longer have midi inputs and outputs, no phones out, no spdif, no optical, no mic2, no line2. I thought it also burnt my earphones since they were cracking and giving smell of burning plastic. However i checked them on another equipment and earphones still work, probably they are only damaged.
I am sad and now i blame myself for tryint to use OSS. So who read this message keep in mind that if you are not rich and not going to buy lynx2, pyramix or other things WHICH CAN REPLACE jackd2, DON'T move to OSS from alsa if you are going to use JACKD!
As far as i suspect that burning problem was caused by incompatibility of OSS Vmix with the jackd which is also a mixer...

Buggy software can burn your processor.
How can it burn a soundcard together with earphones?

I a word, OSS4 does not support Pyramix.

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Software controls levels of electricity. Thus it can burn the hardware modules...

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:49 pm

ossuserr wrote:Software controls levels of electricity. Thus it can burn the hardware modules...

If it were true, both Linux and Windows would burn all hardware in a few minutes.

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:56 pm

Don't you know that high level of volumes can burn equipment? Ok, make an experiment, play flac with aplay without convertaion to wav, for example, put volumes high on both software and your amplifier and enjoy your equipment burning...

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 pm

ossuserr wrote:Don't you know that high level of volumes can burn equipment? Ok, make an experiment, play flac with aplay without convertaion to wav, for example, put volumes high on both software and your amplifier and enjoy your equipment burning...

Do you mean that the destructive electric current will be produced by an "external amplifier"?

If that "evil amplifier" is not controlled by "software", you cannot blame "software" for burning your "equipment".

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Well, see through the specs of platinum series of adigues. They have two amplifiers: 1 for phones and 1 for mic. So the buggy OSS + buggy jackd1 or their combination resulted in some awful distortion which can damage your hearing. + high level of amplification which was set on phones amplifier resulted in damage of the front panel. So now it's not platinum, but just like augidy2 zs, even worse since pure audigy2 zs has also spdif out...
Well, your quiestion is quite strange... What a wrong firmware can do to equpment? Can damage. So jackd1 somehow conflicted with vmix, gave amplification and distortion and was implemented by the OSS driver into the card's hardware burning it...
Also if you read my previous posts you will find that i had a problem NO SOUND WITH OSS which was remedied by uninstalling jackd2. But jackd1 did more - it burnt half of my card...
Can they take same irq or something connected with hardware. Low-level software like drivers is closely working with hardware and can damage it.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 pm

ossuserr wrote:Well, see through the specs of platinum series of adigues. They have two amplifiers: 1 for phones and 1 for mic. So the buggy OSS + buggy jackd1 or their combination resulted in some awful distortion which can damage your hearing. + high level of amplification which was set on phones amplifier resulted in damage of the front panel. So now it's not platinum, but just like augidy2 zs, even worse since pure audigy2 zs has also spdif out...
Well, your quiestion is quite strange... What a wrong firmware can do to equpment? Can damage. So jackd1 somehow conflicted with vmix, gave amplification and distortion and was implemented by the OSS driver into the card's hardware burning it...
Also if you read my previous posts you will find that i had a problem NO SOUND WITH OSS which was remedied by uninstalling jackd2. But jackd1 did more - it burnt half of my card...
Can they take same irq or something connected with hardware. Low-level software like drivers is closely working with hardware and can damage it.

Let us sort it out.

1. That evil "phone/mic amplifier" is not controlled by OSS4.

2. OSS4 is louder than ALSA.

It seems that you set high volume levels in both OSS4 and "phone/mic amplifier".
Then some unexpected "awful sound distortions" were produced by "jackd + vmix", or other software.
And something was damaged in your soundcard.
Right?

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:45 pm

Yes it was like that.
Also i had a moment another day when on uninstallation of jackd2 my sound level increased dramatically. And my sound level with both jackd2 and jackd1 installed WAS MUCH LOWER THAN on system with alsa. But you say OSS is louder. So my guess is that there was a kind of competition between OSS and jackd for sound control which lead to enormous sound level so large that even sound from earphones lying on the table gave ear pain!

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 pm

ossuserr wrote:Yes it was like that.
Also i had a moment another day when on uninstallation of jackd2 my sound level increased dramatically. And my sound level with both jackd2 and jackd1 installed WAS MUCH LOWER THAN on system with alsa. But you say OSS is louder. So my guess is that there was a kind of competition between OSS and jackd for sound control which lead to enormous sound level so large that even sound from earphones lying on the table gave ear pain!

So, "it was like that", perhaps.

OSS4 is louder than ALSA, and some users want to have it even more louder than it is. You may find such discussions on this forum.

The maximum loud sound of OSS4 cannot destroy your soundcard, for it is not loud enough.
For this you need a sort of "external amplifier", which is not controlled by OSS4.

This means, perhaps, that you damaged your soundcard yourself through the help of "external amplifier".
Right?

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Talk with an official jackd troll (They are not going to improve sound... screenshots):
s2.postimg.org/joqdnz3s7/yakd1.png
s2.postimg.org/r5zl36tbb/yakd2.png
s2.postimg.org/6adarxx47/yakd3.png
s2.postimg.org/snl1eqy1z/yakd4.png
s2.postimg.org/6pokkyj1j/yakd5.png
s2.postimg.org/dhjl1jxev/yakd6.png

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Well, that amplifier is part of the soundcard ... it's not external. Also the amlifier should be made to bear the load received.... It means it received the load higher .... But that is a discussion for electricians. I just tell PEOPLE DONT USE JACKD WITH OSS.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:37 pm

ossuserr wrote:Well, that amplifier is part of the soundcard ... it's not external. Also the amlifier should be made to bear the load received.... It means it received the load higher .... But that is a discussion for electricians. I just tell PEOPLE DONT USE JACKD WITH OSS.

Although that amplifier is integrated into the soundcard, it is "external" in the sense that it is not controlled by OSS4. It is controlled by the user himself.

Therefore, you should not blame jack and/or OSS4, perhaps.
Such troubles may happen with any software and any operating system.

The problem is the user himself, because it is the user who is controlling that "external amplifier".

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:53 pm

You have missed one important thing. It was not just a loud sound. It was loud DISTORTION! I cannot even describe it. It's like a terrible NOISE. And that noise COULD NOT be produced by loud sound levels. Also i suppose that oss_sblive kernel module does not support that external module with amplifier. But if it does I just state it died due to OSS + jackd use. So don't use cards with external amplifies with OSS + jackd. TO be more correct.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:11 pm

ossuserr wrote:You have missed one important thing. It was not just a loud sound. It was loud DISTORTION! I cannot even describe it. It's like a terrible NOISE. And that noise COULD NOT be produced by loud sound levels. Also i suppose that oss_sblive kernel module does not support that external module with amplifier. But if it does I just state it died due to OSS + jackd use. So don't use cards with external amplifies with OSS + jackd. TO be more correct.

If it happened with jackd, it may happen with other software as well.

I tend to believe that the OSS4 developers program drivers according to the specifications.

Return to “Linux”