libqtmultimediakit and OSS

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

Xylemon
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme

libqtmultimediakit and OSS

Postby Xylemon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:30 am

Hello, I've been trying to get a couple Qt 4.8.x programs I use (RetroShare for instance) to work with OSS4. However, it seems that after messing around all day I can't get anything to produce sound. I've gotten Phonon with gstreamer to use the OSS4 backend, but I guess that's completely different than the way libqtmultimediakit works. libqtmultimediakit seems to be Qt's own audio out/input ordeal. So has anybody here had any luck getting this to work with OSS? I'm completely lost.

ossuserr
Known Member
Sound Card: audigy 2 zs platinum, esi juli

Re: libqtmultimediakit and OSS

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:16 am

Gstreamer has hidden resamplers, so you would better stay away from it.

nuc
Sound Card: PowerColor DEVIL HDX

Postby nuc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Well I guess libqtmultimediakit does not have any OSSv4 support then. Maybe file a bugreport or go to the Qt IRC and ask there?
Maybe you could try to set up an ALSA emulation for such use cases. See http://www.opensound.com/wiki/index.php ... _Emulation

ossuserr wrote:Gstreamer has hidden resamplers, so you would better stay away from it.

Seriously, this answer didn't help @Xylemon at all. Tbh I don't have the time nor passion to explain to you why those "hidden" resamplers are probalby very useful for most use cases gstreamer has been created for. I just expect from you to provide answers that have got an actual intellectual value. This is not the "Open Discussion" section of the forum.
Check out my effort on revamping the opensound website => github.com/Nuc1eoN/4Front-Tech-Website
Any feedback greatly appreciated =)

Xylemon
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme

Postby Xylemon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:09 am

nuc wrote:Well I guess libqtmultimediakit does not have any OSSv4 support then. Maybe file a bugreport or go to the Qt IRC and ask there?
Maybe you could try to set up an ALSA emulation for such use cases. See http://www.opensound.com/wiki/index.php ... _Emulation

Thanks for the response, sadly ALSA emulation doesn't work at all, not even with playback. I'll probably have to file a bugreport but un-optimistic considering I saw that OSS4 was supported by Qt4 at one time but seems to be nowhere on the wiki with "ALSA" being labeled as "Unix". Yikes.

Return to “Linux”