Esi Juli@ + OSS

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

ossuserr
Known Member
Sound Card: audigy 2 zs platinum, esi juli

Re: Esi Juli@ + OSS

Postby ossuserr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:55 pm

aliluja! returned back quality 6

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:45 pm

ossuserr wrote:The thing is that there is no need to edit because the ebuild already replace 3 by 6.
https://bpaste.net/show/a341e3c890fe see lines 69 and 71.
Agree?

The GOAL of the experiment was to disable all crappy resamplers of OSS4, and to enable the Production quality resampler instead.

When this GOAL is achieved you should have ONLY the Production quality resampler in OSS4.

If there is only one resampler in OSS4, and this resampler is the Production quality resampler,
the secret COOKEDMODE can only enable the Production quality resampler and nothing else.

Since you want to use jackd, which enables COOKEDMODE, you may not want to have any crappy resamplers to be available in OSS4.

Is it understandable?

EXPERIMENT:

In that ebuild _https://bpaste.net/show/a341e3c890fe

you may simply make small changes here:

OLD (lines 69-72):

Code: Select all

sed -e "s;grc_max=3;grc_max=6;g" \
-i "${S}/setup/srcconf.c" || die
sed -e "s;GRC_MAX_QUALITY=3;GRC_MAX_QUALITY=6;g" \
-i "${S}/configure" || die

NEW (lines 69-72):

sed -e "s;=3;=6;g" \
-i "${S}/setup/srcconf.c" || die
sed -e "s;QUALITY=3;QUALITY=6;g" \
-i "${S}/configure" || die

and small changes here:

OLD (lines 97-101)

cd "${WORKDIR}/build" && "${S}/configure" ${oss_config} || die

sed -e "s;'#define CONFIG_OSS_GRC_MAX_QUALITY 3';'#define CONFIG_OSS_GRC_MAX_QUALITY 6';" \
-i "${WORKDIR}/build/kernel/framework/include/local_config.h" || die
}

NEW (lines 97-101):

cd "${WORKDIR}/build" && "${S}/configure" ${oss_config} || die

sed -e "s;'QUALITY 3';'QUALITY 6';g" \
-i "${WORKDIR}/build/kernel/framework/include/local_config.h" || die
}

If you do not understand the "sed" command, you may try to read this: _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed#Substitution_command

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:45 pm

I don't know who's more blind. I not only know sed command, i use it on the regular basis for text editing.
Also i asked u a question that u did not respond. I will try asking again: do you have only Production quality in the drop-down menu of ossxmix or also all other inscriptions?

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks to the alsa developer debianuser at freenode i managed to run jackd without vmix. The procedure involved using strace to see system calls used during playback via ossplay -R. So jackd does not require vmix or alsamixer. It seems that jackd can work directly with the hw. :) Perhaps i will need to switch ON the hw src checkbox in ossxmix if any samplerate of any jackd client does not correspond to that ratelocked in ossxmix. I still need to test in that direction.
Last edited by ossuserr on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 pm

ossuserr wrote:I don't know who's more blind. I not only know sed command, i use it on the regular basis for text editing.
Also i asked u a question that u did not respond. I will try asking again: do you have only Production quality in the drop-down menu of ossxmix or also all other inscriptions?

I have this:

$ ossmix | grep Production
vmix0-src <Fast|High|High+|Production|OFF> (currently Production)

This is exactly what was defined in the configure script:

GRC_MIN_QUALITY=3
GRC_MAX_QUALITY=6

I have 4 resamplers: 3,4,5,6 = Fast|High|High+|Production
MIN=3
MAX=6

If you want to have only Production, you should set both GRC_MIN and GRC_MAX to 6 in the configure script

GRC_MIN_QUALITY=6
GRC_MAX_QUALITY=6

If you know everything about "sed" editor, ebuilds, and Gentoo, it should not be difficult to edit the configure script.
In any case, this can be done with any text editor of your choice (gedit, pluma, kate, mausepad, etc.).

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:49 pm

I have the same...
ossmix | grep Production
Why should i use sed more? The default ebuild of funto is already set up to include production quality.

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:54 pm

ossuserr wrote:I have the same...
ossmix | grep Production
Why should i use sed more? The default ebuild of funto is already set up to include production quality.

Because your jackd may use the crappy Fast resampler (through the help of COOKEDMODE), and your music may sound crappy.

In any case, if you are going to produce "music", you may better remove all the crappy resamplers from your sound system.
Otherwise, those crappy resamplers might be secretly enabled by jackd or other apps, and your "music" might be turn into "digital crap".

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:39 am

It's total success! vmix is totally disabled. Scr and lockrate at 44100 are activated! I am running yackd2 without xruns. Quality improved! No peak clipping! vsts work! Everything works! guys you can move to OSS now! You can have smaller latencies, i can run -n2 -p512 vs alsa onlt -n2 -p1024. Maybe i can run it at smaller latencies (i have not checked).

igorzwx
Known Member

Postby igorzwx » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:25 pm

ossuserr wrote:It's total success! vmix is totally disabled. Scr and lockrate at 44100 are activated! I am running yackd2 without xruns. Quality improved! No peak clipping! vsts work! Everything works! guys you can move to OSS now! You can have smaller latencies, i can run -n2 -p512 vs alsa onlt -n2 -p1024. Maybe i can run it at smaller latencies (i have not checked).

If, it is a "total success", you have to write a manual for OSS Wiki (e.g. "Esi Juli@ + OSS4 + jakd2 + ALSA MIDI"), before inviting other "composers" to use OSS4.

This manual might be very useful for you, first of all.
It is impossible to remember all the "details", and it might be very difficult for you to reproduce your own results.

Notice, however, that "deaf composers" may not need OSS4.
They might be perfectly happy with ALSA and PulseAudio.

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Unfortunetely jackd2 turned out to be not so stable as it seemed. After playing with the packages =media-libs/libmtp-9999 =app-crypt/gnupg-9999 dev-libs/libxslt the operating system was kind of spoiled (fuked up as capitalists say) which made jackd2 not recompilable. Because those packs were connected with jackd. It seems that during installation of some of them and their dependencies jackd1 was automatically installed while my custom-installed jackd2 was not uninstalled. So i guess the linker liked those libs/file somehow in the wrong way. I think there should be a command for gen2 to fix linking. Currently i don't know the way.
Now compilation of jackd2 fails either at ./waf build or at su -c './waf install' whatever you try to vary like the commands passed to gcc 4.9.3 compiler like -O2 , -O0.
Someone with OSS installed and stable versions of packets is welcomed to test my manual for jackd2 installation: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5291&start=15#p21433
Last edited by ossuserr on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ossuserr
Known Member

Postby ossuserr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:26 pm

I tried to unite info from many my posts to make one manual for gentu users. It's difficult to describe all steps for gen2. It's expected that a user has already used gen2 for some time.
I hope though that the manual will be useful for all linux musicians. Here it is:
_http://opensound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5801&p=21377&sid=e445ad886d213138b14a2934d3e68b6a#p21377

Return to “Linux”