OSS + winehq

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium

ossuserr
Known Member
Sound Card: audigy 2 zs platinum, esi juli

OSS + winehq

Postby ossuserr » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:20 pm

About installing how to: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5801&p=21377&hilit=funtoo&sid=8b961de14a349a8f88d416833540e03f#p21377

1. If you start winecfg and you don't see OSS driver in audio tab, it means that during compiling wine your operating system did not see OSS as installed. It means that you need to reinstall OSS (from funtoo-media overlay) and recompile wine with +oss flag activated. When you see the oss driver in winecfg and can choose OSS devices it means that wine has been successfully compiled with oss support.
2. Don't turn vmix off, otherwise u won't get any sound from games running in wine! Vmix must be ON.

ossiuser

Re: OSS + winehq

Postby ossiuser » Mon May 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Midi input into programs running in winehq | wine is now possible due to hack by one comrade. You need to compile wine by a special way. The following procedure describes how to compile wine properly on gentu/funtu (i have succeeded with wine 1.9.9). First of all you should have the following flags (features) activated (those without minus):
app-emulation/wine-1.9.9::gentoo USE="X alsa dos fontconfig gecko jpeg lcms mono mp3 ncurses nls openal opengl osmesa oss perl pipelight png realtime run-exes s3tc samba scanner ssl staging threads truetype udisks vaapi xcomposite xinerama xml -capi -cups -custom-cflags -d3d9 -gphoto2 -gsm -gstreamer -ldap -netapi -odbc -opencl -pcap (-prelink) -pulseaudio (-selinux) {-test} -v4l" ABI_X86="32 64 (-x32)" LINGUAS="-ar -bg -ca -cs -da -de -el -en -en_US -eo -es -fa -fi -fr -he -hi -hr -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -ml -nb_NO -nl -or -pa -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr_RS@cyrillic -sr_RS@latin -sv -te -th -tr -uk -wa -zh_CN -zh_TW"

Now let's issue the following commands:

1. cd /usr/portage/app-emulation/wine && ebuild wine-1.9.9.ebuild unpack
It will unpack the source into the folder /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.9.9/work
2. ebuild wine-1.9.9.ebuild prepare
3. cp /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.9.9/work/wine-1.9.9/dlls/winealsa.drv/midi.c /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.9.9/work/wine-1.9.9/dlls/wineoss.drv/
It takes midi.c file from alsa driver and puts into oss driver to fool winehq.
4. sed -i 's/ALSA_midMessage/OSS_midMessage/g' /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.9.9/work/wine-1.9.9/dlls/wineoss.drv/midi.c && sed -i 's/ALSA_modMessage/OSS_modMessage/g' /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.9.9/work/wine-1.9.9/dlls/wineoss.drv/midi.c && sed -i 's/ALSA_DriverProc/OSS_DriverProc/g' /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.9.9/work/wine-1.9.9/dlls/wineoss.drv/midi.c
It modifies midi.c file with 3 substitutions.
5. Open file /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.9.9/work/wine-1.9.9/dlls/wineoss.drv/Makefile.in and after EXTRAINCL = $(OSS4_CFLAGS) add the new line with the following phrase: EXTRALIBS = $(ALSA_LIBS)
6. ebuild wine-1.9.9.ebuild compile
7. ebuild wine-1.9.9.ebuild install
8. ebuild wine-1.9.9.ebuild qmerge

If all above steps succeded now you have the proper wine which supports midi input via alsa modules into apps running in wine. To test it download midi-ox program and install it by the command:

wine /path/to/midi-ox-setup.exe

Now run midi-ox:

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/MIDIOX/midiox.exe

In midiox go to Options\devices and you will see your all alsaseq devices like virmidi (if you compiled kernel with virmidi support), usb devices (such as midi keyboard or midi-to-usb adapters like UM-ONE). Choose your midi kbd or adapter as input device and close the window. Now press keys on midikbd and you will see messages running in the monitor window of midiox. Then my congratulations! You have done the job for the lazy\reluctant linux developers!

Unfortunately i have not managed to use kontakt 5.3.0 sampler because it just does not work in wine properly due to wine's bugs. But sibelius 7 works. I bet finale, repear will also work. So, comrades, use OSS for sure and for pleasure. Beware that here you use alsa modules for midi input since OSS project was siezed by illuminati and no longer being developed and therefore has no own midi input support. Read other topics to find the guide to use OSS with alsa midi modules.

My older account ossusserr no longer works. So will use this new nickname.

Return to “Linux”