Building OSSv4 from source
- 1 Building the OSS sound system from source
- 1.1 Requirements to build the source code:
- 1.2 Building the source
- 1.2.1 Obtain the latest stable source tarball for the OSS package.
- 1.2.2 Make the source directory, current
- 1.2.3 Extract the source tarball:
- 1.2.4 Create a build directory, and make it current:
- 1.2.5 Create a fakeroot environment (Optional)
- 1.2.6 Run the configure script:
- 1.2.7 Run make build
- 1.2.8 Installing the OSS kernel modules
- 1.3 Testing the Open Sound System
- 2 Errors during build
Building the OSS sound system from source
Requirements to build the source code:
- OS: Linux 2.6+, Solaris v10+, FreeBSD 6+, UnixWare7
- OS system headers, development libraries
- Compiler: GCC, Sun Studio 10+, UnixWare C Compiler
- Tools: GNU gawk - (Solaris versions at: http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/s10pkgs_download.xml) (used for creating man pages)
- Graphics Libraries: Runtime libraries and header files for GTK1 or for GTK2 (used by ossxmix)
Building the source
Obtain the latest stable source tarball for the OSS package.
Make the source directory, current
Extract the source tarball:
bunzip2 -c ~/oss-v4.0-build*-src-gpl.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -
Create a build directory, and make it current:
mkdir ~/oss cd ~/oss
Create a fakeroot environment (Optional)
Run the configure script:
Note that the configure script must be invoked using a full pathname. An error will occur during build, if a relative pathname is used
Run make build
Installing the OSS kernel modules
The kernel modules are build during a separate phase of the installation. It is necessary to become root to build the kernel modules:
su root make install
This will create the appropriate kernel modules, and the Open Sound System tools.
Installation is now complete.
Testing the Open Sound System
To test the Open Sound System:
Errors during build
Error: Cannot open: No such file or directory
This error can occur when tar tries to extract to /usr/src but doesn't have write permissions.
bunzip2 -c /tmp/oss-v4.1-build*-src-gpl.tar.bz2 | tar xvf - oss-v4.1-build080509-src-gpl/RELNOTES.txt tar: oss-v4.1-build080509-src-gpl/RELNOTES.txt: Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Use a directory which you have write permissions to, or change to root (su/sudo), or change /usr/src permissions to allow writing.
This error may occur when the configure script is being run within a subdirectory of the project directory:
# This may produce an error cd ~/oss-v4.1-build*-src-gpl mkdir build cd build ../configure
This produces an error:
../build/cmd/.config: Too many levels of symbolic links
Use a build directory outside of the current project directory:
cd ~/ mkdir oss cd oss ../oss-v4.1-build*-src-gpl/configure
Error: No such file or directory
The configure script must be invoked using a full pathname. This error occurs, if a relative pathname is used.
Scanning . Scanning ./cmd Scanning ./cmd/ossdevlinks ./cmd/ossdevlinks/ossdevlinks.c: No such file or directory
Invoke the configure script with a full pathname.