From Open Sound System
- Always read your drivers' manpage.
- Always test with osstest
- When consulting the forum, attach the output of 'ossinfo -v3' and 'ossmix'.
How do I...
- Change mixer settings - ossmix (command line), ossxmix (GUI)
- Start and shut down OSS - soundon, soundoff (both require root)
- Save and restore mixer settings - savemixer (saving requires write permissions for mixer.save)
- Build OSS from source
- Other Tips And Tricks
I can't hear any sound!
- Did OSS load at all?
- Does osstest work?
- Are the outputs muted in the mixer?
- Is the default soundcard (the one linked to /dev/dsp) the one connected? If not, see here how to change that.
- HDAudio: Are the jacks detected by OSS as output, actually the jacks connected to the speaker?
- Is this an hardware issue?
- Are the speakers muted?
- Is the soundcard connected correctly to the speakers?
- Do other drivers available for your OS (e.g. ALSA for Linux, FreeBSD native) work?
I hear noises!
- Many soundcards' hardware requires output mixers be set to less than maximum (60% at times).
- Set vmix0-src to an higher setting.
- Is the cable from the soundcard to the speakers connected correctly? Could it be too long?
- Build and use OSS from hg developement source.
I can't get multiple sound clients to play on the same device
- multiple clients to same device aren't supported on FreeBSD version. Either set programs to use separate devices, or use sound server like aRts, esd, etc.
- Is vmix loaded?
- If so, make sure vmix1_masterdev in vmix.conf is set to the output device's device index (this can be determined by 'ossinfo -a').